This is the best Bangers & Mash I have ever tasted! This is real home-style cooking at it’s absolute best! It does not get better than this! You may follow any other mashed potato recipe you like and may alter ingredient quantities if you wish. Go caloriecount.com Just click on tools, recipe analyzer and enter your ingredients into the little window that pops up & then click the “analyze recipe” button once you have registered.
**Microwave steam vegetables in 5 mm of water only. Food must not sit in water.
**Use the best Pork Bangers you can find as this dish is dependant on it.
1.8kg potatoes, weight unpeeled
344g onions, unpeeled (2 medium)
522g carrots, peeled (whole)
90ml (90g) chicken fat / oil mixture to fry onions until tender (Left over from roast chicken lemon potatoes)
32g chicken fat (Left over from roast chicken lemon potatoes) added to mash
960g Pork Sausages (16 pork bangers) Add once onions are translucent
204 g frozen peas
50 ml gravy, powder
700ml (700g) water
1 bouillon cube (beef stock cube)
- Slice onions.
- Saute onions in remaining fats (about 90g) from previous nights Greek Roasted Lemon Chicken & Potatoes. Reserve balance of fat (about 32g fat).
- Peel carrots and leave whole.
- Steam carrots whole for 10 – 12 minutes in microwave steamer, until just tender.
- Cool carrots and slice. You will find they slice like butter, without flying all over your kitchen.
- Add frozen peas onto top of carrots and steam a further 2 minutes in microwave steamer. Set aside covered.
- Steam potatoes in microwave steamer for 20 minutes until fork tender (I leave skin on for extra nutrients). Add remainder 32g fat to hot potatoes (set aside from roast lemon chicken and potatoes) and mash together with any excess fats scooped off gravy. Do not add salt. Your gravy will do it.
- When onions are nicely browned and tender, add pork bangers onto top of onions and brown underside, gently flipping without breaking and browning the other side. Remove sausages to an oven rack placed above onions, keeping heat low from underneath, so as not to not burn the gravy. When sausages are halfway done, place them on rack above gravy and grill them until well browned and crisp on both sides. Remove sausages together with rack & set aside.
- Make up gravy (following instructions on package). Stir gravy powder into a little cold water (about 60 ml) until smooth and dissolved. Add balance of water swishing out cup with the rest of water. Add all to your browned onion mixture together with beef stock or bouillon cube and stir continuously until thickened. Do not add salt. There is enough. Reheat all. Serve and enjoy!
Traditional Pork Bangers (Renown)
per 1 sausage (63g) – Calories: 102kcal | Fat: 7.20g | Carbs: 2.50g | Prot: 7.06g Nutrition Facts – Similar
Pork Bangers (Woolworths)
per 1 sausage (63g) – Calories: 179kcal | Fat: 13.40g | Carbs: 4.00g | Prot: 8.25g Nutrition Facts – Similar
Pork Bangers (Eskort)
per 100g – Calories: 262kcal | Fat: 20.00g | Carbs: 9.00g | Prot: 12.00g Nutrition Facts – Similar
Pork Banger (Wimpy)
per 1 sausage (20g) – Calories: 180kcal | Fat: 15.60g | Carbs: 1.00g | Prot: 9.90g Nutrition Facts – Similar
Herbed Pork Bangers (Weigh-Less)
per 1 sausage (62g) – Calories: 50kcal | Fat: 1.60g | Carbs: 1.00g | Prot: 9.00g Nutrition Facts – Similar
per 100 g – Calories: 182kcal | Fat: 16.61g | Carbs: 0.00g | Prot: 7.64g Other sizes: 1 oz – 52kcal , 1 lb – 826kcal , more… Nutrition Facts – Similar
per 100 g – Calories: 282kcal | Fat: 23.58g | Carbs: 0.00g | Prot: 16.12g Other sizes: 1 oz – 80kcal , 1 lb – 1279kcal , more… Nutrition Facts – Similar
Pork Bangers (Renown)
per 100g – Calories: 201kcal | Fat: 14.40g | Carbs: 3.80g | Prot: 13.40g Nutrition Facts – Similar
per 100 g – Calories: 812kcal | Fat: 88.69g | Carbs: 0.00g | Prot: 2.92g Other sizes: 1 oz – 230kcal , 1 lb – 3683kcal , more… Nutrition Facts – Similar
Salted Pork (Cured)
per 100 g – Calories: 748kcal | Fat: 80.50g | Carbs: 0.00g | Prot: 5.05g Other sizes: 1 oz – 212kcal , 1 lb – 3393kcal , more… Nutrition Facts – Similar